By Sam Smith
August 25th 2021
Going green is much more than a buzzword, and it’s our whole ethos at Smith Packaging. As everyone is growing more aware of the need to ‘do our bit’ to help the environment, switching to eco-friendly packaging is an easy way to help the world.
What is Eco-Friendly Packaging?
Eco-friendly packaging materials tend to be non-toxic, biodegradable, and designed to be recycled or reused. They are typically manufactured using clean production technology and sourced, manufactured, and transported in ways that emphasise eco-friendly practices.
The Importance of Eco-Friendly Packaging
So what are the benefits of turning to eco-friendly packaging materials? Whether for business or pleasure, sustainable packaging comes with a heap of benefits. Here are a few reasons why it’s so important to start making the change:
- Sustainable packaging materials won’t add to landfills and can help reduce your carbon footprint.
- Environmentally sustainable packaging is less likely to contain plastic, meaning you can cut down on your personal greenhouse gas emissions and can help protect the oceans.
- Eco-friendly packaging materials are easier to dispose of as they are compostable or recyclable, meaning you should spend less on waste removal.
- Eco-friendly packaging boxes, bags, and papers are often versatile, meaning they can be repurposed for something else.
- Switching to eco-friendly packaging for business needs can help you boost your brand image and show you are a responsible company.
- Eco-friendly packaging supplies also help businesses save money, as the packaging is usually lighter, thinner, and less bulky, which in turn can reduce shipping costs.
What Are Some Eco-Friendly Packing Options?
So, what are some eco-friendly packaging materials you should be on the lookout for whenever you need to pack up your stuff, post goods, or wrap anything?
Paper – Paper is great sustainable packaging as much of the paper sold today is recycled, meaning no more trees are cut down. Paper is also biodegradable, reusable, and can be used for many different purposes.
Cardboard – Sturdy and sustainable, cardboard is another great option. Eco-friendly packaging boxes can be used for moving house, storage, and sending items, too.
Bagasse paper – Made from the pulp of sugarcane fibre, bagasse paper helps reduce deforestation, consumes fewer chemicals than wood, and is compostable and biodegradable.
Cornstarch – Packing peanuts are an awesome alternative to polystyrene and they can be made from cornstarch or plant material. As they are free from plastic, they make a huge difference to your carbon footprint.
Who Should Switch to Eco-Friendly Packing?
Everyone can enjoy the benefits of eco-friendly packaging. Businesses can save money and align their brand image with the rise in sustainability trends – as well as doing something good for our planet. Individuals too, can turn to sustainable packaging solutions for their daily needs, whether that’s sending a letter, moving house, or seeking Earth-friendly storage options.
At Smith Packaging, we are passionate about bringing sustainable solutions to all kinds of packaging practices in the UK. From eco-friendly ecommerce packaging to sustainable packaging for small businesses, we want to make it easy for everyone to make the switch.
Shop online now and see for yourself just how easy it can be to go green.