By Sam Smith
April 11th 2022
While cardboard boxes are often used to solve our storage problems, there may be other times when you need cardboard boxes.
Cardboard boxes may seem tricky to store as they are bulky, but you shouldn’t be too quick to throw them in the recycling pile. Used for storing goods, moving house, and so much more – cardboard boxes are always handy to have around.
Businesses may also have to find ways to store cardboard boxes, especially if you use them on a regular basis and have amassed a collection. We take a look at two solutions for how to store empty cardboard boxes…
1. The ‘flat’ solution
The flat pack solution helps you store cardboard boxes when you don’t have much space. Here’s how to do it:
- First, you need to prep your cardboard boxes for storage. You can do this by removing any tape or other packaging material that may be on the boxes.
- Next, you want to flatten the cardboard boxes by opening all the flaps, following the creases and collapsing the box by the corners.
- Once the boxes are flat, you can stack them on top of each other or side by side. It may also be a good idea to stack boxes by their size.
- If you’re really organised, you can also add a sticky note to each box or pile with its size dimensions.
- Keep the flattened and stacked boxes together by using string or another strapping method to prevent them from falling.
2. The ‘stack’ solution for storing cardboard boxes
Another way to store your cardboard boxes is to stack them or nest them within each other. When it comes to how to store empty cardboard boxes, this method will really only work if you have a larger box and a series of smaller boxes.
Where to store cardboard boxes
Where to store cardboard boxes is equally as important as how to store cardboard boxes.
You want to make sure that wherever you pick to pack away your cardboard boxes is dry and isn’t susceptible to huge temperature fluctuations.
If your boxes have previously had food items in them, make sure that every crumb is removed as you don’t want an infestation of insects or any other critters to be drawn to making their home here. A dry garage, the attic, or any other storage space are ideal places to store cardboard boxes.
How to reuse cardboard boxes for storage
There are many ways to use cardboard boxes for storage. These boxes can be used to help organise your storage spaces, they can come in very handy for sorting recycling items, they can be used for seasonal clothes storage, and they can be decorated and used for storage on your shelves.
Here are some creative ways to use your cardboard boxes for storage:
- Storing shoes
- Stacking books
- Organising your recycling
- Seasonal clothes storage
- A mobile craft centre
- A desk organiser
- For your small pets to snuggle in
- For your little ones to make a castle or fort
- Storing your plastic bags
- Wrapping up gifts
Why choose cardboard boxes from Smith Packaging
With a wide range of high quality cardboard boxes, Smith Packaging is proud to boast the best boxes in town.
Whether you need simple single wall cardboard boxes for storage and lighter goods, or double walled cardboard boxes for those bulkier items, or even specialist moving boxes for that big house move, Smith Packaging won’t let you down.
Along with a great range of cardboard boxes, we also have all the void fill, tape, labels, and other packaging products you could ever need. No minimum order, same day dispatch, and a true commitment to sustainability makes Smith Packaging the best choice for your boxes and more.